She Became

Somewhere, a long time ago….I couldn’t even tell you when, where or how I believed a lie. That lie was, “Who are you kidding, you aren’t an artist…you’re merely a mediocre wannabe”. I fed that lie, and let it grow and become a truth in my life. I dropped art in college, convinced I was not good. I dropped art for a very long time. Oh, I’d dabble. Scrapbooking, word art…these became outlets, and don’t get me wrong, they were forms of art….just SAFE forms of art. See, I knew that I was good at creating a scrapbook page. I was good at hand lettering. They were SAFE. But deep inside I knew that I was still no artist. Only a mediocre faker.

Labels. Labels stick, and even when they’re removed can leave a sticky residue that can be hard to get rid of…especially on your heart.

Lately, though, The Spirit has been speaking to me things like: that’s not who you are… I can tell you that, but until you decide to stop listening to the lie nothing can change. There is a potential in you that IS being unlocked, but TRUST is the key. Now is the time to REJECT falsity (Eph. 4:25), it’s time to know WHO YOU ARE.

This is something I wrote (to God) during my morning pages today:

The blank paper represents what I am pouring out to you, and I am afraid to finally discover that I have NO TALENT, that I’m ONLY AVERAGE, LACK CREATIVITY and ORIGINALITY….that I SUCK. That I’m not that great. No talent. No gifting. No calling.

I’m so afraid that I’m going to fail. But as I worked on this painting I kept hearing, “It doesn’t matter…this is just for you and Me, and you can’t fail me.” It wasn’t profound..but something inside me released. Knowing that it didn’t matter. That the only one I had to please was HIM. It was freeing.

This piece started yesterday (Sunday) with this pencil sketch and the idea that He changes our name

IMG_1637

She being any woman struggling with her identity in Christ.

After church (which was all just a confirmation of all that had been going on with me personally), I went home and started painting. I hated how it was looking…but that’s when He reminded me it was just for ME & HIM.

IMG_1639

I post this and cringe…I so don’t like it, but He makes beautiful things out of our dust! Here is the final piece, and all I can say is God simply amazes me.

IMG_1645

IMG_1646

IMG_1643

-M

62 thoughts on “She Became

1. Elizabeth says:

I only clicked on your blog because you were right above me in the Blog Hop links. But OH MY GOODNESS. God really needed me to read what you wrote and see the art you created with Him. Oh! I am late to work and running out the door, but will be coming back to ponder your post later. (And I’ll likely comment more. Ha!) THANK YOU for blessing my day!

2. sakfergusonphd says:

What we see depends mainly upon what we look for. ~ John Lubbock

When we look toward God, our perspective changes. Thank you for sharing the evolution of your work and your thoughts.

3. Janee White says:

You were created in the image of God my friend – and what was the first thing that God did? He created. He is an artist and you are created in His image. Therefore… YOU are an artist, created in the image of God.

4. sabrinaebert says:

You did an amazing job…you are an artist…you’re talented and I loved the progression and the end result. We are all a work in progress…getting better with Christ. Keep it up! Blessings!

5. Angela Diemer says:

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Absolutely beautiful. Your post was confirming to me what God has been trying to tell me for years. I had goose bumps the entire time I read your post. SO thankful for you!

6. shellye82 says:

Absolutely breathtaking. The painting, your words, your heart…ALL breathtaking!! Girl, you DO have talent!! Don’t believe the lies…believe the truth…YOU GOT IT GIRL!!

7. Kelly says:

That painting is absolutely incredible! I am sitting her staring at it and God is really confirming some things I feel like he has been speaking into me about the new name he has given me. The names I have been given from others have been the opposite of those you painted and I know those are the names God has for me. So please don’t give up on your art-you are extremely talented and God is using your art to heal broken hearts…like mine!

8. Kristi Seat says:

Wow! This is beautiful! So awesome. Girl. God has given you a great talent. Thank you for sharing your heart and your gift.

Blessings
    Kristi Seat
    P31OBS Ministry Team

9. Tori Moore says:

Stunned, amazed, deeply moved…your art is incredible. I can see and feel God in the words and the brush strokes. Isn’t it funny how the enemy can try to take away what God so gave us the talent to do? The woman in your picture is all of us finding who God is calling us to be but most importantly, we are HIS. Thank you for sharing and please continue – you have a voice through your art that God wants to be heard! 🙂

10. collette says:

Wow!!! Very inspiring! I was so touched by your openness and humility. You my friend are a daughter of the King…. and yes, what you do is for Him. Do it for Him, but as you can see, He will use it to bless others. 🙂

11. Cindra Huddleston says:

God is so good…..I just happened to click on your blog and I’m sitting here at work with tears streaming down my face. I really needed to see what you created…..THANK YOU for persevering and being obedient to God and finishing this piece of art. Now, I only wish I could have a copy of it and hang it in my bedroom so I can see it first thing in the morning when I wake up. May your day be blessed!!!

12. Misty Cox Henderson says:

You totally blessed me today with your writing and painting; it is gorgeous! Continue to nurture this talent. I’d buy your work!!

13. thepeacemaker55 says:

Amazing! God has opened up your creativity because you were willing to listen to Him. He has shown you that you have potential that is being released because you choose to use the key of Trust. Now that the door is open, God will continue to let you live out your dream. Believe in yourself because God created you with potential that you will continue to discover as you trust in God allowing Him to use your art His purposes!

14. lavidacoffeegal says:

Thank you so much for sharing the process of your heart and your work as you painted this piece. Certainly it will be one that you will look at and remember as the time the Lord and you painted something together. When the enemy tempts you to believe the lie (that you aren’t an artist) you can look at that painting and remember God’s Truth! You are an artist, as the Lord certainly created you to be!

15. Sarah Foster says:

Thank you for this post! I keep hearing “you are no writer” in my head but I know God is calling me to write out His story through mine. You are such an encouragement. Never stop creating! Our creator dwells in us! Who are we to think He could not create beauty through us?

16. rportteus says:

Wow! Simply amazing. I am so glad you shared these. I hope you continue on your journey. I believe it will be an amazing way for you to feel God’s presence.

17. tdm4him says:

You My Friend are indeed talented!!! Don’t you believe those lies. OH my goodness, I would hang this on my wall…in fact, I would hang this in my office at work! God has gifted you with an amazing vision. Use it to His Glory – keep in mind -it is just you and Him!! Please don’t stop.
    Thank you so much for sharing your heart, and you art with us. Can’t wait to see more!
    God has blessed You, Bless others,
    Teresa

18. Millee Wrenn-Arnett says:

Your blog caught my eye and spoke to my heart last night before I went to bed. Reading your story and seeing the painting evolve reminded me that we are a work in progress. I see myself as the second picture without the words and only a vague shadow but your encouragement leads me to believe that our God still has work for this 68 year old retired librarian. As I am retired and on a fixed income my options to give are limited but my love for the Lord grows daily through this OBS. Keep on doing as your heart dictates because you are touching so many of us wounded sisters. Have a blessed day and thanks for blessing me.

19. Elizabeth says:

I came back because I wanted to see it one more time. It really IS a beautiful painting with such a beautiful meaning behind it.
    Also, your words “I fed that lie” rang true with me. If only I (we!) could stop feeding the lies and starve them instead. God would make you/us powerful for His kingdom… and already is!

20. Jen C says:

I pick which blogs to read based on the picture, and both your picture and the title caught my eye! So glad I came to see more. It brought tears to my eyes. I’ve read a few of the comments, and it sounds like other would agree with my thought that you need to find a way to sell prints of this piece on Etsy or something. I think many of us would purchase! (And I’m going to go pin it, now!)

• Kelly says:

Prints would be amazing! Since I was 14 (I am 30 now), I have moved 13 times so I have never decorated or really settled in. Nowhere has been mine and I have known it was temporary, but I just put a contract on a cute little house and am so excited. I was just talking to a friend about how I need to find fun ways to decorate so that I feel like I finally have a home. This would be a great start 🙂

21. glitteronmyface says:

This is such a powerful post. Thank you so much for sharing your faith. Just remember that the negative voices come from the enemy and he is a liar and accuser. I know God is loving that you are not afraid of the enemy and you are using your talent to build His kingdom! Well done.