New Piece

Happy Friday! I hope everyone is doing well, and loving life. Things have been busy, but good here. I’ve started a new piece and don’t have a name for it, yet. I wanted to share the beginning process with you!

IMG_0733This is the very first layer. I did gesso the canvas panel first, using a bit more than necessary to create some texture. After the gesso dried completely I used a Tim Holtz paint dauber to “pounce” some paint across the left side, spraying with water while it was still wet to make it run and drip. I filled in some sparse space with more paint and more water until I was happy with the result. You can always add more until you get the look you want.

IMG_0744after that first layer dried I used a credit card to scrape some Target paint (Robin’s Egg??) across the pink. I let it sit for a bit to set slightly, then spray generously with water, and rolled and dabbed with a ┬ápaper towel to let some of the texture on the under layers to come through. Also, dabbing with a paper towel adds visual interest to the paint. If you’ve not tried it, give it a shot, you might be surprised! The biggest thing is to let the paint “set” for a bit, or you’ll end up rubbing the paint around, as opposed to removing it. Another hint, if you paint has dried already, take a wet wipe (the kind that have alcohol in them) and rub some of the paint off. Something fun is to use a stencil to protect some of the areas while wiping. This creates GREAT visual interest! Also, on this stage, I decided I wanted to balance the piece with some pink on the opposite side. I used the same process as above to add the paint to the right side. Let dry….


Next I used a stencil to add some Dylusions paint in Vibrant Turquoise. I use makeup sponges for this (just the cheap kind at Walmart). I dab it in the paint and pat it on my catch paper (that I cut up later to use as collage fodder) to get the excess paint off. Using my fingers I added some Fresh Lime and sprayed it with water and let it run, the turquoise was still a bit wet too. Using a paper towel I removed some off. The idea is to let the colors and texture from the layers below to come through, creating depth to your piece. Let dry….

IMG_0750The next layer is where I started adding papers. There’s a little bit of everything here: scrapbook paper, deli paper, tissue paper, magazine paper, paper from past catch paper. I also did some spritz with some homemade spray ink. I used Liquitex Gel Medium (my preferred brand) to adhere the paper to the canvas.

This is all I have right now. I’m letting it dry, and will see where it goes from here! I hope you all have a great weekend! Get out there and get your hands messy!