Happy Friday! I hope everyone is doing well, and loving life. Things have been busy, but good here. I’ve started a new piece and don’t have a name for it, yet. I wanted to share the beginning process with you!
This is the very first layer. I did gesso the canvas panel first, using a bit more than necessary to create some texture. After the gesso dried completely I used a Tim Holtz paint dauber to “pounce” some paint across the left side, spraying with water while it was still wet to make it run and drip. I filled in some sparse space with more paint and more water until I was happy with the result. You can always add more until you get the look you want.
after that first layer dried I used a credit card to scrape some Target paint (Robin’s Egg??) across the pink. I let it sit for a bit to set slightly, then spray generously with water, and rolled and dabbed with a paper towel to let some of the texture on the under layers to come through. Also, dabbing with a paper towel adds visual interest to the paint. If you’ve not tried it, give it a shot, you might be surprised! The biggest thing is to let the paint “set” for a bit, or you’ll end up rubbing the paint around, as opposed to removing it. Another hint, if you paint has dried already, take a wet wipe (the kind that have alcohol in them) and rub some of the paint off. Something fun is to use a stencil to protect some of the areas while wiping. This creates GREAT visual interest! Also, on this stage, I decided I wanted to balance the piece with some pink on the opposite side. I used the same process as above to add the paint to the right side. Let dry….
Next I used a stencil to add some Dylusions paint in Vibrant Turquoise. I use makeup sponges for this (just the cheap kind at Walmart). I dab it in the paint and pat it on my catch paper (that I cut up later to use as collage fodder) to get the excess paint off. Using my fingers I added some Fresh Lime and sprayed it with water and let it run, the turquoise was still a bit wet too. Using a paper towel I removed some off. The idea is to let the colors and texture from the layers below to come through, creating depth to your piece. Let dry….
The next layer is where I started adding papers. There’s a little bit of everything here: scrapbook paper, deli paper, tissue paper, magazine paper, paper from past catch paper. I also did some spritz with some homemade spray ink. I used Liquitex Gel Medium (my preferred brand) to adhere the paper to the canvas.
This is all I have right now. I’m letting it dry, and will see where it goes from here! I hope you all have a great weekend! Get out there and get your hands messy!